09 March 2010

Scrum's Achilles Heel & Where Scratch Meets Itch

Anders Storm, Head of Development and IT at Tekis AB, posted a cogent reminder of all that's good about Scrum (see Anders' post Why I Like Scrum! on his blog Product Development).

Scrumbaya (like Kumbaya)

Anders and I share many of the same likes about Scrum. Scrum was my first step into Agile (thanks Markus). I started a jaded curmudgeon (my apologies Markus), but my Scrum-mates revolutionized my thinking. I am grateful to the pioneers of Scrum.

I like Scrum for its humanity, accountability, explicit trust in programmers, and inherent fairness.

Needs Improvement

I have one criticism of Scrum, but it’s a big one…

The Achilles Heel of Scrum is the Product Owner. The Product Owner is a serious flaw in the approach. In my experience, Product Owners operate on notions about what’s most valuable (what’s a high priority), rather than on verifiable data.

The Scrum community applauds itself for its transparent burn-down charts and their inherent "velocity" when what they’re actually transparent about is speed (e.g., because the direction component is sorely missing).

It bears repeating that
It doesn't matter how fast we deliver, if we deliver junk.
Verifiable Value

Scrum must evolve beyond the concept of a limited user proxy, like Product Owner, then figure out ways to better understand, measure, and verify the user experience.


In almost all cases I can think of,
the people actually using our software is where the scratch meets the itch. 
Our goal, as always, is to produce incremental value. But in this case, it comes via verifiable value (direction) and not just speed.

I am looking for ways to get to Verifiable Value and to limit Seat-of-the-Pants Guesses.

More